Effective April 19, 2022, the FCC will charge a $35 fee for new licenses, license renewals, and applications for vanity call signs. The fee will not apply to license upgrades. These will be payable directly to the FCC.
The FCC will send you an email when your license is issued. To check on the status of your license, visit the FCC Universal Licensing System License Search web page and search for your license using your FRN.
The FCC now requires a $35.00 fee for new amateur radio Licenses, renewals, and vanity call signs. There is no fee for upgrades.
- You do not need to wait for an email from the FCC to pay your fee. You can login to the FCC CORES site to pay your fee without receiving an email. Some people report they have never received the FCC email about paying fees. AC5V sessions are processed by the W5YI VEC the first thing in the morning on the next business day. After you pass your license exam, you can login and check to see if fees are due without waiting for the FCC email.
- Important: Do not make any changes to a pending application. If you make a payment and then decide to change, for example, something in their name but the application has not granted yet, it will never grant, and your payment is “lost“. The application will have to be withdrawn and resubmitted and a new fee will be required. You cannot make any changes to a pending application. If a change needs to be made let the application grant as is, then call W5YI VEC (800) 669-9594 and ask Tracy to submit any changes or corrections.
- The FCC should send you an email when your callsign is issued.
- HamStudy should send you an email shortly after your callsign is issued.
- You can search for your license on the Universal Licensing System. In the License Search box, select by FRN, type your FRN into the box, and click SEARCH. You can then click on your Call Sign (if it has been issued) to view your license. From that page, you can click Reference Copy to download a Reference Copy of your license in PDF Format.
- If you wish to download an Official Copy of your license in PDF Format:
- Go to the FCC License Manager Log In page.
- Enter your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password and click SUBMIT.
- If you have multiple licenses (e.g., Amateur Radio License and GMRS License), click My Licenses on the left, then click on your callsign in the list of licenses.
- Click on the link to download your official electronic authorizations now.
- Note that you may need to unblock popup windows in order to download your license.
- Print Reference Copy: Go to the FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS) License Search page, enter the desired callsign, and click the search button. Click on the desired Call Sign / Lease ID. Then click on the Reference Copy link near the top of the page to download a printable PDF Reference Copy of the license. Note that anyone can download and print a Reference Copy of any amateur radio license.